Most of us cringe when we hear the word “ego” being related to the success of our business. But most of the time, it so happens that if you do not keep a check of your ego before leaving the house, it is probably going to cost you. When you have a good idea and knowledge about a certain field, it automatically feels like you can handle it on your own. If anyone tries to give their advice, recommendations and opinions on that individual subject, that is when you feel like you are confident enough and that you know a lot. People do admit that they necessarily do not feel like they know everything but they just happen to know pretty much a lot. Hence, they tend to become a bit overconfident and eventually get carried away.
Well, you may not certainly want to admit it, but it surely is a fact that the reason why your business might be failing is that of your ego.
Top Five Reasons
Let us point out those major five reasons because of which our ego often gets in the way of our business.
- We Know our Business the Best – Yes, it is an fact. You end up living and breathing your business. So much that you know it at the back of your hand and you are a pro at knowing everything about it. So, it is not unlikely to be confident and let the ego drift away and get bigger as you tend to learn more about your own business. You do not find it necessary to take anyone else’s opinion or recommendation since you think you know the best.
- We are Protective – As you nurture your business since its infancy, it does become like your baby. That is why you become protective of your business, and your first instinct is always to defend it. Even if advice that you got is right for your business, you think of ways to counter it and protect. Therefore, out of the mode of protection you ignore and overlook all the useful warnings and recommendations.
- Think We know enough – When you become good at something and confidence takes a toll on you, what you become is an “unconscious incompetent.” You have no idea of what you do not know. You do not seek to learn more, to gain more knowledge or to acknowledge you may not do something important. As you discover something you have no knowledge of, you study it super well. Another point is in the actions of others. You often notice someone saying something and doing another. You remain flabbergasted, and this makes you much more aware.
- We Live through the Details – You live with your business. Therefore, you know the tiniest little details about it. You are the master of the little things. You spare no time in answering the quickest business guess when someone asks something about your business. But this is how your confidence turns into overconfidence. You let that get in your way.
- We get Lost on the Way – It often happens that we get so invested and busy in making our living that we end up getting lost. We tend to lose our focus on growing up as leaders and learning more about the perspective of a business owner. Also, as days go by and you see others making their business journey, you also witness their failures and shortfalls. That is when you see them and make a small note in your mind or for real, and learn from it. This is one of the most common reasons how people often get carried away. In the path of learning from the mistakes of others, we overlook the ones we are making ourselves. Therefore, we end up ignoring our learning curve.
So, now that you have realized how your ego can get in the way of your business and potentially its success remember these. You might not feel like all of these points are true in your case but keep them on hold for your future. When you feel like you are a step away from getting carried away, use these warning signs to get back on being cautious.
So, remember these and flourish at your business. All the best!